The Bow Ramp

Friday, September 23, 2005

You can KISA my...

Several bloggers this morning (Power Line, Michelle Malkin, etc.) have commented on the Presidents recent appointment of Richard Jones as Ambassador to Isreal. The referenced article from the Washington Times mentions that:

Richard Jones, most recently Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's right-hand man on Iraq, has "roots in the Arab world so deep," reports the Washington Post, "that his beloved greyhound is named Kisa — for Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, his first posting in the Arab world."

Well, I'm not a Middle-East expert, but even I know that Moslems hold dogs in utter contempt and that calling someone a dog is a grave insult. If his background has such deep Arab roots, it seems to me that naming his greyhound Kisa was either pretty insensitive (bad for a diplomat,) or a peek into his real feelings about the Saudi's.

I think we might look a little deeper into Mr. Jones record before we jump to any conclusions.

UPDATE: Here is a link to the original Washington Post article. A different quote from the article:

"The people calling for my head were Hassan Nasrallah, the head of Hezbollah, so I'm not shy on taking on terror organizations and calling a spade a spade," Jones said, referring to his time in Lebanon.

Anyone Hezbollah wants to kill can't be all bad. Since this guy is career Foreign Service, I wonder what Dr. Demarche's take on him is.