The Bow Ramp

Friday, November 21, 2008

Old Home Week

I think I mentioned the other day that I was stationed in the Norfolk area a long time ago. In fact, this trip was the first time I had been back there in 33 years. Since the Norfolk airport was only a couple of miles from Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek and I had some time to kill before my flight, I decided to drop in and see what changes had been made. First off, I visited Assault Craft Unit Two, my old unit and there she was -- the LCU-1661, my old boat.

From Bowramp


From Bowramp


I sweet-talked the crew into a tour and probably bored them with a few (OK, a lot) of sea stories. There had been a few minor changes, but it was the same old girl. It's sad to think she is the only one of the many ships and craft that I sailed on that is still in service. She must be nearly 40 years old now.