The Bow Ramp

Sunday, March 13, 2005

The Big Two-Oh

As has been mentioned in many blogs, Greyhawk over at Mudville Gazette has hit the 20 year mark in the Army. This got me thinking about my own retirement. I finally hung up my stripes in '89 after nearly 23 years in Uncle Sam's Navy. That was a very bittersweet moment. My reasons for leaving were approximately:
I was older than dirt. The Master Chief who worked for me was in the 5th grade when I joined.
My girls were getting older. The wife and figured it would be nice for them to spend several years in the same school for once.
I had promoted myself out of any fun job in the Navy. From that point on, I could look forward to steering a desk. Not that I hadn't been doing that for several years already, but at least the desk was on a steel deck.
I was pretty much burnt out. Twenty some years of putting your utmost into the job can finally catch up to you.

On the other hand, fifteen years later; I still wake up every morning and wish it was my uniform I was putting on. Good luck GH, whatever you decide to do.