The Bow Ramp

Monday, October 30, 2006

F.R.O.O.M.B.!

Way back in my misspent youth, I recall seeing an old political cartoon from before WW II that shows the globe driving a Model T Ford down a slope toward a precipice and saying "Fluid's running out of my brakes!" The cartoon portrayed the feeling of helplessness and inevitability people were feeling as the world slid toward war.

I've been having that FROOMB feeling recently and I've been trying to figure out if it is a reflection of what's happening in the world, or what's happening in my head. Old Earth has gone around the sun sixty times since I was born and I've lived long enough to see many dire predictions fail to pan out. Y2K anyone? Yet there is that nagging feeling that the brown stuff is about to hit the fan. All in all, I rather it was just me - know what I mean?