The Bow Ramp

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Some Call It Plagerism

The other day, I was rummaging around in the attic looking for my old dividers. No luck finding them, but I did come across an old keepsake from my carrier days. Now Cdr. Salamander has his Sunday Funnies, and Lex has his carrier tales, so I figured why not flatter them by copying their methods. Therefore, I present to you (in installments) some of the following:

This is the cover sheet from the bound collection of cartoons that graced the Air Plans aboard the USS Ranger (CV-61) during the first half of my tour aboard. Unlike your average editorial cartoons, or what you read in the Sunday paper, they don't make much sense to most folks as they don't have the background to understand the context. Many of them will be funny to anyone who ever deployed on a carrier, a lot more of them, you would need to know the characters and situations to really appreciate them. Any way, here come the first two.

This one should be funny to anyone who ever made a Westpac cruise. When approaching the Asian side of the puddle, there was an area we called the "Bear box" that was where we usually encountered Soviet "Bear" bombers that would come out to perform recon/spying/intimitation.