The Bow Ramp

Friday, July 01, 2005

Life Inside a Can

Yesterday, I read a series of posts by Lex about life aboard an Aircraft Carrier. Boy, that sure brings back memories as I finished up my career by spending 3 1/2 years of a 2 year tour aboard the USS Ranger (CV-61). I remember one Change of Command ceremony aboard Ranger where the guest speaker, Commander Naval Air Forces Pacific (COMNAVAIRPAC) began his remarks by saying that people often asked him why the tour of duty for Commanding Officers of Aircraft Carriers was only eighteen months long. He said he always told them the reason was that they could only stay awake that long. That was really funny to us because it was almost true. The effort necessary to make a carrier function is unbelieveable. I was always amazed that we could just get underway on the old girl, much less go out and operate her at the opposite ends of the world. Go and read the posts. Here, here, here and here. lex tells it better than I could.

[Posted with hblogger 2.0 http://www.normsoft.com/hblogger/]